Quote

Black Lives Matter

Friday 9 June 2017

Naturally going grey

Hi a few people were interested in the approach I'm taking re going grey.

I previously used a semi permanent hair colour in a medium warm brown and before that a slightly darker one with red tones. They worked well with my green eyes and allowed me to wear some brighter and warmer colours.

I had a few friends who had coloured their hair dark brown for a long time and were having a lot of trouble with regrowth. I decided that whilst I was still only slightly grey I would stop colouring altogether and let the natural grey come through. That was over 18 months ago.

At the same time I also started to grow out my fringe (bangs) and had the overall length gradually trimmed and layers added. It is naturally wavy and I embrace that too.

I did have a little bit of residual colour in the ends but they were gradually cut out, and it wasn't very obvious as I had stuck close to my actual hair colour in the first place.
I don't have any anxiety about getting older, the birthdays are just numbers and my changing hair (and body) are a new journey I'm embracing. I'm calmer and more confident than I was when I was younger and have an interesting life.
So as those new white hairs come in I'm working with them, adding textured and pinstriped items to the wardrobe which have depth of colour like my darker hair but those lighter elements for the white ones.

I would like to see more styling tips for those with parially grey hair, mostly advice is for those with brown or grey not a bit of both!

5 comments:

Karen said...

I love this! I've never colored my hair and I'm letting it naturally go gray. I love your last photo with the light colored contrast. I'm going to try that. Like you I don't mind getting older. I'll be 50 in September, and I like myself so much more now than I did at 25. I think confidence is more beautiful than a particular hair color or body shape.

Unknown said...

I'm 58 & totally white. My hair started changing at 14! At first I used a Hena rinse back in the 1970's then color for years but in my 40's I began to leave it alone as it was quite long & took 2 pkgs to get it all colored. I've been all natural for years hair isn't as long almost to my waist. I use argan oil spray for shine & moisture. Your hair is beautiful & "your crowning glory".
Blessings
Baa

Brenda said...

Thanks for the post - this is an interesting topic. I allowed my hair to go grey naturally pretty early on. I have had a "young" look and the early grey gave me some authority in the classroom. One idea about colors to wear is to go to a taupe-ish brown color for a neutral. Or add some pearls to a darker color worn on top.

I recently had chemotherapy and lost most of my hair, but now my hair is now growing back. Before chemo I used to complain about my hair and "bad hair days". Now I consider that any day I have hair is a good hair day. : )

Bonnie @ sewplus.blogspot.com said...

Great post! You look lovely!

Jenni said...

You look lovely, particularly in that last photo. I don't dye mine and the grey is increasing but like you I'm embracing this. I actually like my gray hairs, they are like little sparkly highlights.